Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Organic Spice and Herbs

Seems like Dr. Mercola is my new doctor now...You see, he has always emphasized to eat as much as possible organically grown food in order to achieve optimal health. Well, most of us are focusing much on the vegetables or main dish side but how about our herbs and spices? Should we continue to patronize processed herbs that could probably contain serious risks to our health? I used to be a hater of ampalaya or if I eat it, I cover my mouth or put as much rice as possible to hide the bitter taste and swallow it right away knowing that it has a lot of benefits, I force myself to eat it! Yet, a few years ago, our household help was taught to cook it with the use of of course processed spices and herbs with probably heaps of MSG and other synthetic preservatives. I have loved eating it then on. But as I knew more about organically grown plants and vegetables, I began to refrain eating it anymore unless of course I have no choice and just cross my fingers that it will do more good than harm to my system.

So going back to what Dr. Mercola has emphasized, he has observed that herbs and spices were overlooked which is one way to enhance and improve our health. But of course, it should be organically grown. Their nutrient-dense status to vitamins and minerals and antioxidants more potent than fruits and veggies, it promotes the overall well being in the entire body and not just in a specific body area. At the same time, it is low on calories as well as boost metabolism that could help burn calories!

The next time we shop for spices and herbs, we better be selective and make sure it is harvested, grown and processed organically or else we will be missing out some healthful ingredients beneficial to our body. It might as well be 100% organic!

One of the herbs that Dr. Mercola recommends and which actually made him travel all over India was an ancient herb called Turmeric. This herb was used by India and China thousands of years ago..It contains a lot of benefits and one of them is promoting immune system and supporting healthy bones and joints. I have not scouted yet if we have some available here in the local market but if we can´t get hold of it , then might as well make do with our local herbs and spices which I´m sure has benefits of its own as long as we know it is organically grown (I believe that most of them are). You may check out his article if you want to find out more the Turmeric´s benefits. 

Gotta go for now and more organic stuff to talk about soon!

Cheers to organics and health! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment